Saturday, January 06, 2007

Home Sweet Home

After a restful break, I'm back in Arctic Bay and ready to start the second semester. It was great to see family, especially my new nephew whom I had only seen back in July.

It feels great to be home after 3 days of travel and I feel I'll be ready enough for Monday. The flight back (2 flights actually) made for a long trip. But I'm rather used to that by now. Perfect timing (which I had little to do with) put me into Iqaluit in time to catch the entire IIHF Junior Hockey Final in my hotel room.

I grabbed a bite to eat with a colleague while overnighting in Iqaluit and was able to pick up a couple of nice prints. At the bar, local artists can be found selling their work and I've gotten some nice work. I've scored some nice carvings but never any prints before, which I thought was odd considering the number of times I've been through Pangnirtung onroute to Qikiqtarjuaq. (Pang has a good rep for prints). No sooner had I commented on this than a man showed up at our table with a couple of prints that caught my eye. We worked out a good price and I managed to get them both home in good shape. (I was glad they were on canvas and not paper). Now, I just have to find a good place to hang them.

We still have about another month before we see the sun here but I've made it through the longest part of the dark season no problem. It sure is refreshing to see snow again.


0 comments: