Friday, January 26, 2007

Back On The Air

After an unintentional hiatus, Way Way Up is back. Turns out all services for wireless internet were conked out for several days due to a broken part which obviously (because of where we are) took a bit longer to fix than expected. We could still get on-line at the school using dial-up but I found myself too busy and impatient to use the old computers in the lab there. Initially I thought I just screwed up my own connection because the day it quit on me I had done some major re-arranging of furniture in my living room. I thought I had a disconnected or ruined wire at first but turns out our whole community was affected.

Anyhow, its not like there have been too many blog-worthy things of late so no matter. We are waiting here for the sun to return over the horizon which I believe should be somewhere around the 5th of 6th of February. Guessing the exact date and time of the suns re-appearance makes for an interesting little exercise and I've noticed a few classes in the school are having their own little contests to see who can guess the correct time.

I remember trying to do exactly this when I was living in Qikiqtarjuaq. As a newbie, I had no idea of what the date would be so I tried using my GPS unit to figure it out. My GPS turned out to be not very accurate however and I believe the day I ended up choosing turned out to be quite overcast anyhow so it took an extra couple of days before I actually saw the sun.

Once the sun returns we will gain roughly 15 or so minutes of daylight everyday until the first week of May when the sun will be up for 24 hours. I am noticing everyday how much more light we get. The change is really quite drastic. Though our temps have hovered between -30 and -35 for most of the month, I look forward to being able to spend more time outside very soon now rather than being indoors much of the time.

0 comments: