Thursday, December 07, 2006

I've Been Published

My little blog has certainly taken me in some interesting directions. I've had it in mind for some time to write a book about my experiences in the North, many years after retirement. I've only been in Nunavut 4 years so I figured it would take awhile to build up enough interesting tales to warrant a book. I certainly didn't expect to see anything from my keyboard in print anytime soon. However, as I've come to learn, life can take you in all sorts of unexpected directions.

It began a few weeks back when I received a comment on a post from the editor of a magazine out of Nanaimo, BC. The magazine is entitled "Dialogue"." It features independent submissions on social and political issues from across the spectrum and across the country. The editor asked me if I might be interested in submitting a story or two since they received few submissions from the North.

I jumped at the opportunity, dashed some stuff off along with a couple photos and mailed it off. I had almost forgotten about it (graduation ceremonies are this Friday and semester exams are just around the corner) when an issue arrived in the mail today. With my memory jarred, I flipped through it eagerly to discover that they had run my story. I was pleased to see the pictures had turned out so well, especially the colour shot on the inside cover.

I will try to get my submission on my blog in a future post. My computer has been a bit cantankerous lately. The only drawback is that I was referred to as Ms. Darcy Steele (darn my sexually ambiguous name!) as you can see in the picture below.




I never really fancied myself a writer so I was quite pleased and flattered they ran the story. At any rate, I'm toying with the idea of submitting another story. "Dialogue" publishes 6 times a year so I have time to hopefully come with another decent story.

2 comments:

c'est moi said...

Congrats! That is exciting news. You should share that story with your students. There is nothing better than modeling when you're a teacher ; ) But given everything else you've written about, I'm sure you already knew that.

jennifer said...

Congratulations! That's wonderful. You could also try sending stories to Our Canada magazine - 100% reader contributions. I've sent one (not published...yet!) and want to send a few more. It's exciting that you were recognized (even in the feminine) for your skills!
-jennifer