Tuesday, November 28, 2006

Sweet!

There's nothing like listening to Beethoven's 5th on a new 1000 watt sound system. Finally, I have a system that makes the floor shake. It is a fantastic recording as well...the 1962 recording by the Berlin Philharmonic conducted by Herbert von Karajan.

The first recording of a Beethoven symphony I remember owning was the Berlin Philharmonic's 1962 recording of the 9th Symphony.....back in the days of cassette players. That cassette has long since given up the ghost from wear and tear and likely over-playing to boot. So now I couldn't be happier to own a box set of all nine.

The other great recording I managed to get my hands on (finally!) was Glen Gould's 1955 recording of the Goldberg Variations. I already have the 1981 recording but I had long sought the earlier recording since this is version that essentially launched Gould's career. The tempo of the 1955 recording is a bit faster and I expect I'll be listening to and comparing the two versions in the very near future.

For a classical music fanatic like myself, having these two recording gems in your collection is better than winning the lottery. If I didn't have to work, I'd likely listen to them all day tomorrow. Sometimes life is just sweet!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Why does it not surprise me to find your writing about Classical Music. Love your pictures!!! Can't wait to see you at Christmas

Way Way Up said...

Ha! I was wondering when I'd get a comment from you guys. Love ya lots!