Thursday, November 09, 2006

No Go

Unfortunately with the high winds and blowing snow we had last night and this morning our soccer teams were unable to fly out for Iqaluit. I felt pretty bad for the kids and there were many long faces. It was a quiet ride back into town. However, I got word late this afternoon that the plane will try again tomorrow. So here's hoping. Otherwise it looks like we'll have to wait until next year.

I spent a good chunk of the day on the phone trying to get in touch with our rec. director, a guy from Sport Nunavut, parents and students trying to figure out what was going to happen and letting people know what was going on. It took me a good long while trying to get in touch with our girls' coach who is already down in Iqaluit with a couple of players who left Tuesday because there weren't going to be enough seats on this morning's flight. Finally after a mere 8 hours of trying to track down a contact number and playing phone tag I was able to let her know about our plans for tomorrow.

The one bit of good news is that she will be able to pick up the boys' new soccer uniforms from the company we ordered from which will save us a huge headache since we will need to get them and I have no clue when the boys play their first game once we (hopefully) arrive at the high school. Fortunately tomorrow is a staff day and with this coming Monday being a stat day for Remembrance Day, I won't have the headache of prepping for a substitute.

Work has started in Arctic Bay on a new airport which is scheduled to be completed in 3 years. This new airport is much closer to town and unlike the one in Nanisivik, it will not be built on the top of a mountain. Hopefully this will cut down on the number of weather delays and accompanying frustrations. Unfortunately this won't help us much for tomorrow though I did remark to a few people I'd be more than willing to head out to the new airport site on weekends and work for free if it would make things go a little faster. Nah, better not. I'd make a lousy engineer. Math was never my strong suit.

0 comments: