Thursday, November 02, 2006

The Last Hurdle?

Hopefully after today we've cleared our last hurdle to get our soccer teams to the tournament in Iqaluit next weekend. I was told our flight times this morning. Most of us have to be out at the airport to catch an 8:30am flight. I say most of us because I learned from Sport Nunavut that the flight only had 14 seats for our two teams. We are sending a total of 15 players plus 2 coaches. The only way to get everyone to Iqaluit would be for 3 of us to head down a couple days early. So I had to figure this out and let Sport Nunavut know by the end of the day.

I spent the rest of the day hoping I had a couple players who had relatives they could stay with in Iqaluit since Sport Nunavut would not pay for hotel rooms for them. I also knew that I would be too busy to head down early with the two players since I will be in the middle of mid-terms early next week. Luckily the girls coach came to the rescue and was willing to travel down with the kids. We had a quick meeting after school to decide on the 2 players and then I called Sport Nunavut back with the names.

Now all I have to do is pack, wait for the sleeping bags we will be borrowing from the Cadet Corps to be dropped off at the school, slip in a few last practices, meet with the team to go over the rules and expectations of the coaches, hope that the boys uniforms we ordered get dropped off at the high school in Iqaluit by the company we ordered them from and arrange to get the players out to the airport for an early flight out. No sweat. Man, school teams traveling to tournaments in the South have it so easy. It's all worth it in the end though and I'm looking forward to watching the kids compete.

0 comments: