Monday, November 27, 2006

Keeping Busy

Now that we are into the "dark season" here, the big challenge during my non-working hours is to keep busy. This helps me cope with the long hours of darkness and on weekends, helps me from going "squirrel-ly".

The one thing I started doing Friday night (which explains the lack of recent posts) was sitting down and watching some DVDs on my laptop. I got the first three seasons of "CSI" on DVD last Christmas and I decided that now was a good time to sit down and check them out.

Usually when I sit down to start something new I tend to focus on it to the exclusion of other things. This is my fancy way of saying I managed to watch at least a dozen episodes from Season 1 almost continuously. I didn't think I'd get that "into" the show but now that I've started watching them I do find it a tad addictive. And I wouldn't really count myself as a TV-watching kind of person.

But at any rate, between CSI, a couple of good books I'm reading at the moment, Civilizations IV on my laptop and the new music CDs that just came in the mail today, it looks like I'll sail through the dark season with flying colours.

The other thing I'm looking forward to later this week is getting a new stereo system. I donated my old one to the table sale for student council on the weekend. I think it was the last major thing I owned from my time in Saskatchewan but it was getting old and I've been wanting to get a new system for some time so I can enjoy all my CDs in my slowly increasing library. I'd much rather fill the big hole on my tv stand with a decent sound system than with a TV. There are a couple of stereos I've been eyeing in the Northern store here so now I can't wait. Nothing too fancy but definitely a step up from what I have at the moment, which is nothing.

Hmmm...I wonder what I'll listen to first after I get it? Something from the box set of Schubert lieder I ordered at the beginning of the school year?......the Mahler symphonies I haven't gotten around to listening to yet? A little Chopin? Hmmmm.....I can't wait! Decisions, decisions...but enough to keep my little bean occupied for now.

0 comments: