Tuesday, October 17, 2006

Wacky Day

Lately our weather has been just plain wierd. The bay shows little sign of freeze-up and so far we've had little snow. What snow we did have was scoured away last night and today by 50km/h winds. We even had periods of light rain yesterday which is something I've never seen anywhere in Nunavut for this time of year. The rain left us with roads coated in ice this morning and it took me almost twice as long to walk to work this morning as usual. I slowly zig-zagged, tiptoed and slid down the hill to work hoping no one was poking their head out their window to witness the comedy and wishing all the while for a pair of skates which would have sped up my trip considerably.

The weather wasn't the only thing that had me shaking my head this morning. I woke up to the news of the by-election results over in Pond Inlet, which had me rolling my eyes. The by-election was being held to replace Nunavut's speaker who had been killed while on a hunting trip back in the spring. The winner was a man who had been Nunavut's first education minister. First elected in the 1990s as part of the old NWT legislature, he had been forced to resign in 1995 following a conviction on a sexual assault charge (for which he was sentenced to 2.5 years in prison.) He was re-elected shortly after the formation of the new Nunavut government in 1999 but had to resign a second time in 2003 following a second conviction for assault causing bodily harm against his girlfriend. Just what we need...another crook in politics.

What galls me is that I know fair well that if I had been charged and convicted with the same crimes, there is no way I would still be teaching today. Yet if you happen to be a politician apparently you can just run for re-election and that's okay. High time we started demanding the same level of accountability for our elected officials.

0 comments: