Tuesday, October 24, 2006

Student Council

We sat down after school today for our first official student council meeting. I'm excited that we have gotten things up and running. Our first order of business was preparing some activities for Hallowe'en next week. We hope to have some games in the gym next week along with the proverbial haunted house. We decided it was easiest to use my classroom for this so we plan to set up something good. The students were expecially eager to plan out some Hallowe'en activities this year since last year we had to cancel them due to a rash of school break-ins and the death of an elder.

I for one am looking forward to the Haunted House as it will give me a good opportunity to go through my CD collection and pick out some creepy tunes - Bach's Toccata and Fugue in D minor BWV 565, the Mozart Requiem, Orff's Carmina Burana and Mussorgsky's Night on the Bare Mountain are recognizable to most, if not from their titles than from the memorable tunes.

The students have tons of ideas, a few of which I had never even thought of before, even though I've been involved with student councils in the past. At any rate, I gave them all the task of writing down their ideas for activities we could do throughout the year and to come up with 3 ideas for fundraising we could do. They are a great bunch to work with so I'm very much looking forward to this. I definitely feed off their youthful enthusiasm. Ah, to be a kid again.

3 comments:

Clare said...

nice to hear that the student council is up and running. About time.

Are you expecting any parental resistance for Halloween activities?

Way Way Up said...

Hopefully this won't be a problem. I didn't get wind of anything last year...even though it ended up being cancelled it was an open secret that the haunted house was being planned in my classroom. Luckily we have Morty on student council to advise us on such things.

c'est moi said...

So you have to deal with the religious fun-duh-mental-ists up there too, eh. I've told our community's group in no uncertain terms that Halloween is about children having fun and we will let children have their fun at our school. Apparently, they haven't had a Halloween celebration here in two years. It is a damned shame too because the born agains are only a small, but loud, handful in our community. I threw them a bone though. Any family that wants to keep their children home for the day because of religious reasons was free to do so without penalty. I don't think wwe'll miss anyone that day. The kids are nearing fevered pitch as this one nears. Good luck with yours too.