Monday, October 09, 2006

I've Been Tagged

I saw today I've been tagged by Ian and Jennifer at

http://www.nunablog.ca

so here goes my list. I'm sure with all the books I've been lugging around the North the past 7 years I should be able to come up with something.

One book that changed my life - Tuesdays With Morrie by Mitch Albom

This is a book I suppose needs no introduction...helps to put all your troubles in your day in stark perspective.

One book I've read more than once - Igloo Dwellers Were My Church by Rev. John R. Sproule.

An affectionate retrospective by the Reverend John Sproule on Inuit life during the 1950's in the Kugluktuk area(formerly Coppermine, NWT).

One book I'd want to have on a desert island - Canterbury Tales

I wasn't a lit. major in university but from what I've heard it's a long book and I suppose being stuck on a desert island I'd have plenty of time to plow through this one.

One book that made me laugh - How To Be A Canadian by Will and Ian Ferguson.

An offbeat look at life in the Great White North. I've been meaning to re-read this humourous gem and now that I've found it in my boxes of boxes I think I will.

One book that made me cry - Tuesdays With Morrie - need I say more.

One book I wish I had written - A visitors Guide to Versailles: The Ultimate Bachelor Pad.

Louis XIV may have been incompetent but he sure knew how to build a nice house.

One book I wish had never been written - Culture Warrior by Bill O'Reilly

I know it's not good form to knock a book without having read it but if half the stuff I've heard about it is true than this book seems to be an excellent candidate for a good book burning. There is enough silliness and hate in the world as it is. No need to poor gas on the fire.

One book I am currently reading - Bay of Spirits: A Love Story by Farley Mowat.

Say what you will about Mowat and his facts and accuracy but I still think the grand old man of Canadian lit. has a way with words. Afterall, I credit his writings with first awakening within me an interest in Canada's North.

One book I have been meaning to read - Any travel book on wine that will show me the best ways of drinking my way across Europe.

0 comments: