Tuesday, October 10, 2006

Hockey Pool Season

Now that hockey season is back I know my days sans tv are numbered. I managed to survive without one for almost an entire year in Qikiqtarjuaq but mainly that was due to the 2004-2005 season being scrubbed from the players strike. Going back as far into my childhood as I can remember, I've always spend Friday and Saturday nights glued in front of the squawk box watching the Leafs play. This was back in the 80s during the dark ages for the Leafs and generally they didn't fare too well. But heck, it was one of the few times my parents let me stay up past 9pm so that was good enough for me.

I look forward to following the games and seeing how my players in my hockey pool do. Last year, a few hockey buffs on staff along with our one RCMP officer entered an on-line hockey pool. It was the first time I'd really done something like this and my inability to make good player choices showed early. I was mired in second-last place for much of the season. Lady luck smiled on me however, and I slowly crept upward in the standings in the second half of the year. One final push in the last couple weeks before play-offs and I ended up passing my former house-mate, taking over the lead and eeking out a win by 5 points. We spent most of the season just trying to catch up with Eric who jumped out to an early big lead. (Darn you Jagr!) It was a fun competition and I took a lot of ribbing for picking 2 defencemen among my 8 players. Fortunately, they were reliable point-getters last season.

I don't think I'll do as well this year, however. We drew names to see who would pick first and I was a bit lower down the list this time. Not only were most of my picks already chosen by other pool members but I also later discovered to my horror that my choice for goalie, Manny Legace, had been traded from Detroit (always a contender) to bottom-dwelling St. Louis......oops. At least I still have Sakic again from last year and I'm hopeful Marleau turns in another strong season. If Alfredsson, Spezza, and Kovalchuk do the same magic as last year, perhaps there is hope for me yet. At the moment I'm in 6th place (out of 7) but its way too early to fret I suppose. Ah, another hockey season is underway.....and all is right with the world.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Leafs die every year in the fall. Long live the greatest and with most Stanley Cups, The greatest Montreal Canadiens. We beat the leafs at the last game......

Way Way Up said...

My step-father would definitely appreciate your comment!