Sunday, October 29, 2006

The Dark Season

Now that we've set our clocks back to Standard Time, I really begin to notice the change in the amount of daylight we get. Not that I particularly mind it, I knew it was coming and I'm more or less used to it by now. In a way it's comforting. For me it marks the beginning of the winter season or the "dark season".

Growing up in Ontario, the Labour Day long weekend would mark the official end of summer and the long, slow slide into the winter months. Up here that date doesn't have as much meaning. I believe the warmest day we had here was around +14C. So summer is marked less by the temperature and more by the amount of light we get, which in July and August, of course lasts 24 hours.

Although in the northern hemisphere Dec. 21/22 marks the official start of winter, it's a meaningless date here as it will already have felt like winter long before we reach that date on the calendar. So for me, the shift back to Standard Time makes it feel like winter has officially arrived. (Even though we have a lot less snow than we should have for this time of year.) The sun will still continue to rise for about another 2 weeks before it won't rise at all. But this will make sleeping in on Saturdays a breeze. And that's always a good thing in my book.

0 comments: