Tuesday, September 19, 2006

When Bunnies Attack



One of the things I like best about living up here is that you can do things spur of the moment sometimes and have experiences that you otherwise wouldn't be able to have. This afternoon I made a snap decision to head out on a hike after work with a couple students to the top of King George. One of the boys brought along a .308 slung across his back since "It wouldn't be good to run into a bear out there."

It was a lot smoother going this time than when I had first hiked to the summit back in June. Back then I had the misfortune of fighting my way through snow.....a lot of snow in some places. Up one of the paths I took was a small intermittent stream. I did not know it was there at first since it was covered with the slowly melting snow pack. After breaking through and plunging my foot into icy water, I discovered that stream pretty quickly. At least this time I could clearly see the stream and avoid it.

Anyhow, I left the house around 5pm and we made it the 1800 feet to the summit in 2 hours and 4 minutes according to the one student I went with. Going down was much quicker. You cover a lot of ground in a short span of time running down the side of a mountain......mostly on my feet.

So I had intended to take a bunch of pictures of our big ascent up the mountain until we came across this little guy. I was amazed at how close he let me get to him. But the zoom on my digital wasn't the best so I had to creep as close to him as I could in order to distinguish him from the surrounding snow and get a decent picture. Luckily for me, this little guy proved to be a willing and cooperative subject.

2 comments:

J Consortium said...

Awww...that is such a cute photo. I'm jealous that you got so close to that rabbit. We got somewhat-near a full-sized one and we actually were a little freaked out that it would take a bite out of us. I knew they'd be big when we moved here but I had no idea how big.

Way Way Up said...

Killer ain't he? Yeah, I still can't believe he let me get that close to him......within a dozen feet. I figured they would run from me since I came close to clocking one on my skidoo last spring.