Thursday, September 07, 2006

Something Old and Something New



When thinking of traditional Inuit dwellings, the iglu very often comes to most people's minds. Less well known is the qammaq such as the one which sits along the shoreline here. These were constructed with a rock base and roofed with sealskins supported by a whalebone frame.

I'm not certain when this one was built though it had served as a community museum at one point before I arrived here. This no doubt explains the anachronistic tile roof and chimney.

Out in the bay (way out in the bay here) is the something new - yet another coast guard ship which has dropped anchor for a short visit in recent days. As noted by Clare, I believe it is the CCGS Henry Larson.

2 comments:

Curt, Melissa & Christopher said...

Hello,
Have you noticed a increase in the presence of the coast guard this year? We've had three visits which seems a little high. Is this the increased presence (or at least the beginning of it do you think)? I know you haven't been there that long but have the locals mentioned it?
Just wondering.
Take Care
CG

Curt, Melissa & Christopher said...

Hello Darcy,
Ok, I have a question for you. My wife and I prize education very highly, I have several degree's and she has several dipolma's. This leads us to a concern with our son. Christopher is 4 years old, and I am very interested in remaining in the North, as you say it has a way of sucking you in. The graduates I have working for me and those I've met fail to instill in me the confidence that they are ready to succeed in a southern university without alot of catch up education. Do you feel that my child's education would suffer from being in this education system for a period of time. When do you feel the latest to remove him from this system would be in order to avoid a unridgeable gap? Do you know of any supplimental educational services available up here to assist us in educating him in a manner that wuld lead to greater success by southern standards?
any other Ideas?

Thanks for your time and attention,
Curt.

P.S. Please respond directly to my email if possible, curtisgroom@gmail.com


Thanks again.