Thursday, September 21, 2006

I'll Take Arctic Bay Over Big City Life Anytime

For a day that I thought would turn into one big frustrating disaster it all turned out quite nice in the end. My troubles actually began last night when I came up with the genius idea of re-arranging my livingroom/dining room and putting down the new piece of 12x12 carpet I bought that yesterday afternoon.

Now, my legs were still a bit stiff from my mountain climbing venture earlier in the week so I should have just gone to bed. But I have a stubborn side that got the better of me. I just wanted to get the new carpet down and wasn't looking forward to having to step over a big roll until the weekend when I would have more time. The end result was that I did get the carpet down but my legs were none to happy with me and let me know by stiffening up which made me look like a 90-year-old walking to work this morning.

When I got to work I realized I had locked my keys and my wallet in the house when I left. ARGH! I also remembered that I had to move my skidoo out of the shed I had been storing it in over the summer since the shed had been sold and the new owner wanted to move the shed this afternoon. Our school was also having a Meet the Teacher night which I was expected to attend of course and I was also pre-occupied with preparing for a substitute teacher as I anticipate being out of the classroom and filling in as acting-principal while our administrator attends a meeting for all of next week.

Throughout the day though, people came through for me. It always seemed that when I needed help and was juggling too many balls in the air, someone was there to help. On my way home, a man who worked for housing pulled up in his truck and gave me my keys. (I had called them, quite embarrassed, earlier in the day). This saved me from having to make a trip to the housing office. A student offered to help me move my skidoo from the shed over to his house where I know it will be in good hands and I can store it temporarily. Not only did he take off the drive belt with his bare hands so that the tread would rotate around the wheels, making moving it much easier on the skidoo, he also then went back his house to get a rope. We pulled out the skidoo and hitched up my skidoo to his 4-wheeler. The rope didn't look like it would do the trick, being pretty thin. I told him we'd just leave my skidoo there for the night since I felt bad about making any more work for him.

At that point, another student happened to come along. He was able to get a good length of rope which we then used to haul my skidoo across town. I thought the poor carbides would take a lot of abuse after being hauled over the bare gravel road but we took a look at them afterward and they weren't that bad.

To top off the day, I made it to our Meet the Teacher night at the school. Basically, the high school teachers gathered together in one class with parents to point out changes we had made to the school schedule as well as some new rules and expectations. We also explained how the whole high school credit system worked. I wasn't sure how successful we'd be as most of our audience were unilingual Inuktitut speakers and I know it had taken me close to a year to figure out how it all worked for myself when I first arrived in Nunavut. Any uncertainties were put to rest at the end of the meeting when a lady said through an interpreter, "Thank you for helping us to understand."

So I end the day on a high note. The day had the potential to be a stressful pain in the back side. But people from a small arctic community, through words and through actions, made all the difference.

2 comments:

jennifer said...

Ain't that the truth! Despite hating my small town surroundings as a teenager (Pembroke, Ontario), I now see the value of being raised and living in a small community. It's just important to visit the big city regularly for some exposure to other things.

Great photos of your hike too!

Way Way Up said...

Thanks.