Saturday, September 16, 2006

All's Quiet

It seems this past week has just whizzed right by. I woke up to another dusting of snow so signs of winter are in the air. The snow has mostly melted off by mid-morning although up the top of King George has a light coating of white. Its a nice change from the brown I've been seeing since I flew back last month.

Next week our school is planning a "Meet the Teacher" night, something I wish had been done last year. I feel that I know most of my student's parents by now though its always good to meet more and catch up on things with ones I haven't seen over the summer. There are a few parents I see everyday just through my daily routine and I've been trying to get into the habit of talking to as many of them as I can in the course of my day, even if it's just a quick hello.

One of our big aims this year is to keep attendance up. Typically, in the high school, it starts of well but usually by the late-September/early-October, you start to notice a drop. I really hope our "Meet the Teacher" night goes well. I have a number of students that could do well if only they didn't miss so much class. Last year, we started with a high school enrollment of 60 and finished with 34. So as teachers, parents, students and community there is much room for improvement. I don't pretend to have all the answers. I have some ideas of what how I'd like to improve attendance. Not all of them are realistic or could be accomplished without taking a long-term view. Some issues students face are bigger than one person to solve. But any step in the right direction is always a good thing.

Well, time to finish off the coffee, shave before I start looking like a wookie, and enjoy the mostly clear skies we have this morning.

1 comments:

Curt, Melissa & Christopher said...

Hello,
I sent you a comment regading education of my son in the north and as a eductor I respect your opinion and any assistance you could provide me would be appreciated. I realize your busy with the beginning of the school year but I would hope you could spend a couple of minutes to assist me with my future decisions regarding this matter.
Thanks
Curtis