Thursday, July 06, 2006

Groundhog Day

The last couple of days have reminded me very much of the movie Groundhog Day with Bill Murray - wake up, make coffee, check weather forecast, call airport, re-check weather forecast, get more coffee, discover plane is cancelled, sob and drink more coffee.

The only break from this pattern this morning was that I made as far as the taxi cab stage. I was 90% of the way to the airport out in Nanisivik along with 7-8 other unfortunates when we ran into (figuratively) an airport worker coming in the opposite direction. Turns out the flight still couldn't make it in from Resolute. The last few kilometers were just like driving up into a cloud.

The amusing irony was that as we were rounding the bay back into the community we could see patches of blue sky above Arctic Bay. Just a few kilometers back up the road it was a foggy nightmare for landing a plane. Now, the cloud cover here in town is just the same as it was the past couple days. I felt better when my seatmate told me he was once stuck in Resolute Bay for 11 days. So, I guess I certainly can't complain about 2-3 days.

The airport is only located out near Nanisivik because it was originally built to service the now defunct mine there. So apparently, a bunch of mining execs were intelligent enough to discover a base metal mine in the mountains way above the Arctic Circle. I wonder why they would fail to realize its not really a smart idea to have an airstrip on the side of a mountain.

Hmmmmm...if I started walking now.........

0 comments: