Wednesday, June 21, 2006

Longest Day

Today marks the time when the sun reaches its highest point in the sky in the northern hemisphere. Its a day that's a bit quirky up here. Back in my little hometown of Campbellford, Ontario, the day sees the longest amount of daylight in the calendar year. Up here in Arctic Bay, Nunavut, the daylight is really no longer than an any other day we've had recently. I can't recall the last time I saw a completely black night sky here (sometime back in early March if I remember correctly). From this day forward, though, the sun will begin to sink lower in the sky until around August 6, when it will once again start to dip below the horizon. We will still experience close to 24 hour light after this however.

I'm glad that I've been able to stick around in town for a little while after the end of the school year. Its nice to see the community during the different times of the year. Most teachers arrive up here in late August and depart for summer holidays in mid-June. This is the second time I've remained in a community for this long after my last day of classes. The first time was back in 2000 when I was in Fort Smith through July. I was transferring to teach in northern Manitoba, a decision I was later to regret. However, at the time I didn't know that yet and took full advantage of the long summer days to enjoy hikes along the Slave River, bike rides in Wood Buffalo National Park and some of the best fishing I've experienced anywhere. Gotta love the long sunny (most of the time!)summer days!!

0 comments: