Sunday, June 11, 2006

All's Quiet

My roommate has headed back to Ontario, leaving me with a lot of extra space. I had to hand it to the guy, he didn't have the easiest of classes to work with for a first year of teaching. I know the staff admired him for sticking it out and keeping his humour and sanity to boot.

So I'm settling back in to being roommate-less. I'm not sure how long it will last as I may pick up a housemate for next year. It all depends on who is hired to fill the vacant grade 9 position. Because there is not enough government housing to go around, it is quite common for teachers to share accommodations. This is something I don't really mind. It kind of comes with the territory. Part of me enjoys the company though I do admit it is nice to have your own space. I suppose I could solve the problem altogether by building a house of my own. This is something that's been in my head for awhile, ever since I found out that there actually are lots for sale in Arctic Bay.

I even have my dream lot picked out. One of my favorite things to do on a sunny day earlier in the spring was to head over to it on my skidoo and park where I imagine my prospective livingroom would look out over the bay and King George V Mountain on the other side. It is a great view.

Of course, the dream is one thing, the cost is another and a cringe at how much change (to say nothing of the logistics) a guy would have to lay down to construct even a basic 1200-1500 square foot house way up here. Oh well, I'm finding the weather is too enticing and distracting to worry too much about such things at the moment

3 comments:

Clare said...

The lots aren't actually for sale, but they are equity leases, I think for 99 years. And anytime you want to get some info on the logistics etc of building up here just pop on over, I'd be happy to share what I've learned.

Kara and Matt said...

Hi! Thanks for checking out our blog over here! Kugluktuk is very scenic and we have been told that we are the banana belt of Nunavut! I would believe it after this year! We are just heading out for a few weeks to see family- and shopping! Hope your summer is good!
kara :)

Way Way Up said...

Thanks Clare, much appreciated.

Kara & Matt, I'd love to visit Kugluktuk someday