Thursday, May 11, 2006

The Big Thaw

Tonight I see something which I haven't seen in many months - a steady rainfall. The mercury has been flirting with the freezing mark over the past several days, which has slowly turned the ground into a slushy, muddy soup. I think I was a couple inches taller by the time I arrived at the school this morning on account of the mud that collected on the bottom of my boots. I've watched this week as the snow line has been slowly retreating from the hills behind the house. The bay will remain covered with ice for awhile still but getting around the community by snowmobile is becoming more of a challenge as the roads in town are pretty much bare by now. My skidoo plows through the mud and rock like a small tank but I've had to lift it out of the mud a few times this week.

On the up side, I was finally able to ditch my big winter parka yesterday on the walk to work. There is a myth that the arctic is frigid all the time but this time of year with 24 hour sun coupled with no trees and heat reflected off the roads and buildings can make you work up a bit of sweat walking outside.

It has been very quiet around the school this week as attendance really drops off in the spring. I can't blame students entirely for the cabin fever. Afterall, I get a little antsy myself after being cooped up inside through a long winter. I do find it a bit frustrating though, seeing students fail simply because they don't attend classes.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

hi Darcy... we are the group from Toronto comming up on monday... we came across your blog while doing futher research about arctic bay this time of year... we are getting antsy ourselves and can't wait to experience the midnight sun... we found your blog amusing considering the fact that we had no idea that it gets muddy up there... hopefully we will get the chance to meet you while we are up there...

see you monday...

The travel club from Toronto

Way Way Up said...

Welcome Toronto students....hope you enjoy your time here. Have a good time at Ikpikittuarjuk and climbing King George. I haven't had a chance to get to those places yet so enjoy the views...i'm so jealous :)