Monday, April 03, 2006

How Much Food Can A Person Eat in a Year?!

Have you ever stopped to think about how much food you eat in a year? Today I picked up the new sealift catalogue from the Northern store - sealift order time.....you can just feel it in the air!

So what is sealift? Basically what happens is I fill out an order form with all the food I want to order from a catalogue and in September, a ship arrives in Arctic Bay with all the heavy supplies, building equipment and food orders for the community for the coming year. Anything that cannot be delivered by plane is instead shipped up to the community from the south.

There are a few different suppliers you can chose from but I've always dealt with the Northern Store. There's been a Northern in every place I've taught in so I'm most familiar with them.
At any rate, I have a couple of months to figure out how much food I can eat in a year. This is something I've never really spent much time contemplating but by placing a sealift order you can save some money on groceries so its worth looking into if you're going to be around awhile.

I'm hoping to have better luck this time. When I first placed a sealift order 2 years ago, I admit I didn't really know what I was doing. Granted, I had an idea of what might need. I'm a teacher, so I should be good at planning right? Well, let's just say I didn't need to put in an order last year. Part of that was due to the fact that I was tranferring from Qikiqtarjuaq to Arctic Bay and was afraid my order might not find me here but possibly wind up in Resolute or Kugluktuk.

I ended up ordering WAY too much spaghetti and rice and though I did manage to sell a bit of it before leaving Qikiqtarjuaq I never really put much of a dent in it. I quickly realized there are only so many ways to eat rice.....rice and tuna, rice and char, rice and soy sauce...one disastrous attempt at rice pudding. Any pot luck I went to everyone knew I was the one that brought the rice dish.

On the bright side I have enough bars of soap to last me another 4 years at my estimated rate of consumption and I have not had to buy toothpaste for almost 2 years now. Of course, I did order some treats like cookies, chocolate bars and chips but those things never lasted through the first winter. Anyhow, its all still a learning process for me. I plan to go over my order with a fine-tuned comb this year before sending it off. I know in some ways it will be easier for me this time around. As I mentioned earlier in the day to a friend, I know what I WON'T be ordering this year.

1 comments:

Andrew@ThreeElms said...

Hi,

I found your post interesting because the question I ask is exactly the same, but with completely different reasons. We can and preserve a most of our food and we have to decided how much and what garden produce to put away. Last year we canned 20+ quarts of tomato sauce (that's 200-300lbs of tomatoes), turns out that was a lot of sauce!!!! We've used about 4 quarts so far. =) Same basic thing applies with out meat. Right now we're deciding if we want to raise a pig or not this year. They are such great garbage disposals, but will we finish the pork we got last year??

Anyways, I love your blog. I used to work in Whitehorse, but it's interesting to hear about the north.

I agree about your Toronto comment. I would go anywhere but. :)