Sunday, March 19, 2006

A New Beginning

Greetings from Arctic Bay, Nunavut in northern Canada! This marks my biggest forray into technology to date!

A small preamble -- I must start off by stating that I am a bit of a Luddite when it comes to technology. However, the chance of being able to document my time in Nunavut was simply too good to pass up. (At least now, I have a very good reason for buying that digital camera I've always dreamed of!)


Arctic Bay is definitely one of the most beautiful places I've had the pleasure of living and working in. It is a small predominantly Inuit community of about 700 in Canada's High Arctic. What brought me here was my job (I teach high school social studies at Inuujaq School here). What keeps me here is the people and Inuit culture....and at times the weather which can play havoc with flight schedules at times. But more on that later.

At any rate, living in Nunavut is unlike living in any other place! We've just recently gone through a warm snap and a cold snap....the temperature soared up to around +2C recently, shattering temperature records. This past Tuesday we hit the proverbial -40C. Snowmobiles become quite finicky with starting in conditions like that!

This is my third year in Nunavut. I taught for 2 years in another community before transferring to Arctic Bay in the summer of 2005. I can say it was one of the best decisions I have made in recent years. Aside from my work, I coach boys soccer and help out with the local Army Cadet Corps which helps keep me busy and gets me involved in the community. I've become an avid smowmobiler and can confidently claim I am likely in possession of the most northerly collection of the entire recorded opus of JS Bach in the world...some days you just feel like tooting your own horn!

Anyhow, I grew up in small-town Ontario and taught throughout the north. I was in northern Saskatchewan before taking the plunge and coming up here. I had always wanted to go "way way up" for the experience...I figured one year would be good. Three years later, however, I feel more and more at home here and less compelled to leave......life is funny like that.

3 comments:

Manda Keating said...

Mr. Steele,
Congrats on your brand new blog! Welcome to the wonderful world of blogging. You can now officially call yourself (as the kids say) a "blogger". I look forward to reading more about your time in the artic!

Clare said...

Welcome Darcy. Looking forward to reading more. Curious as to where in Northern Saskatchewan you were before coming north.

Way Way Up said...

Hi Clare, thanks for linking my page to your site....much appreciated. Before coming to Nunavut I spent time teaching grade 6 in La Loche, SK.