Monday, March 20, 2006

A Look Ahead and A Look Back

Ah, today Spring has sprung! It used to mean melting snow, re-emerging grass on the lawn and all the leaves I missed raking up in the fall. This morning it meant the temperature was warm enough so that I could get my skidoo started with little hassle. I sure makes the 3 minute morning commute more manageable, though I haven't quite mastered the art of driving while my holding my morning coffee. Luckily, there isn't too much to hit while driving across open patches of tundra - save for the odd large rock.

Spring has always been my favourite season up here. The days are longer, the sun shines brighter and it feels good just to be outside after a long dark season. It amazes me that we have gone from practically no daylight in the beginning of February to 12 hours of light in a mere 6 weeks.

One experience that I have been particularly fortunate to have lately has been having a couple local elders into my classroom over the past couple of weeks. They are an invaluable link to the past, imparting traditional skills and wisdom upon young minds - whether through story-telling, games or working with caribou or polar bear hides. I asked both ladies through one of my students if they were familiar with a couple of former teachers and an Anglican minister from the 1930s, 1950s and 1960s whom I knew through some of my reading had spent some time here. I received smiling nods in return. It was interesting for me to have this small link with a past that I can only read about in a book.

0 comments: