Friday, March 31, 2006

Arctic Bay students hit Toronto

At the moment we have a group of students from our school down seeing the big lights of Toronto. They are participating in an exchange with a Toronto high school. Many of the students that went had never been to a big city like Toronto before and the Toronto students (who will be heading up here later in April) have never spent much time out of the inner city.

A colleague told me this morning that the kids had been to Much Music and had appeared on TV, sporting a Nunavut flag (signed by Mats Sundin and Eric Lindros!) Unfortunately, I missed seeing the show but a couple teachers here have taped it so I look forward to seeing it.

In addition to their TV appearance, they will see a Toronto Raptors game, go to a Maple Leafs practice at the Air Canada Centre and experience the natural wonder of Niagara Falls. I know this will be quite the experience for them and I very much look forward to hearing all about their great adventure when they return next week.

Thinking of this exchange has reminded me just how large and diverse the country is. And though I momentarily thought of the marvellous +15 degree temperature the kids would be basking in and all the shopping and conveniences there, I wouldn't trade Arctic Bay for Toronto for a second.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am from the US. The only province in Canada I went to is Ontario. A while ago I visited Niagara Falls. Recently, I have visited Windsor and Toronto. I only scratched the surface of Toronto. There is so much more of Canada that I want to see.